This is one of my very own recipes. If I remember correctly it was a combination of boredom and romanticism that led to this beautiful experiment. I wanted to cook a proper treat for my husband, who was working late that night. He was the one that told me to please write this recipe down and keep it for future use – and I’m happy he did!
It may look like a lot of work and money, but I assure you that it’s not. It costs less than N$100 to make! You can cook almost everything at once, so it doesn’t take hat long either.
All I ask is that you credit me when you pass this one on!
For more recipes like this one, also check out The Food Lover’s Blog for a new recipe every Wednesday!
Pancakes (± 15)
3 cups flour
15ml baking powder
¾ cup sunflower oil
800ml cold water
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Whisk together the oil, eggs, milk and water. Add it to the dry ingredients and whisk with an electric beater until smooth.
- Put the mixture in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Remove and mix well. The batter will have thickened. Add more cold water until it is thicker than water, but thinner than cream.
- Using a soup ladle, spoon the batter into a pan (smear with a thin layer of oil if it’s not non-stick). Fry on high heat, turning once.
Tip: To be sure the pancake is ready to be flipped, wait until its edges start pulling away from the pan, and the entire pancake has little bubbles on the surface.
500g chicken fillets, cut in blocks
1 onion, chopped
1 can mushrooms, chopped
1 fresh chili, chopped
Garlic, salt & pepper to taste
- Switch on your oven’s grill to heat up. Put the chicken blocks in an oven dish and drizzle generously with olive oil. Mix it through with your hands. Grill the chicken for 10 minutes.
- In the meantime fry the onions, mushrooms, chili, garlic, salt and pepper in a pan, until the onion is glassy. Remove from the heat.
- When the chicken is done, add it to the onion mixture – but do not fry it again!
You’ll probably have sauce left, which you can use in your next meal!
2 packs Knorr 3 Cheese sauce
2 tbsp margarine
½ cup flour
1 cup milk
1 cup hot water
Salt & pepper
- Melt the margarine in the microwave. Add the flour and whisk with an electric beater. It will look like crumbs!
- Beat in the milk, and microwave for 1 minute. Mix again.
- Add the 3 Cheeses sauce, salt & pepper, and water (add extra if the sauce is too thick) and microwave for another minute.
- Pour the sauce into the onion/chicken mixture, and let it simmer on low for 5 minutes.
Fill up your pancakes and enjoy!!