I don’t have kids, but if I did I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t have any issue giving them food with booze in it. I would probably make them this dish on a Friday night, while sampling a glass or two of the wine while I’m cooking.
I used smoked russians that I bought for next to nothing, and added green pepper and a few sundried tomatoes to the mix. I think mushrooms, a fresh tomato or bacon will work well too.
I had leftover All Joy pasta sauce, which I used in place of canned tomatoes.
4 x Smoked sausages (russians), cut into wheels
1/2 Onion, chopped
1 can Chickpeas, drained
1/2 Green pepper, sliced
3 Sundried tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup Canned tomatoes, or pasta sauce
1/2 cup Sherry (OBS)
1/2 cup Wine – red or white (OPTIONAL)
A dash of lemon juice or lemon rind
Salt, Black Pepper, Peri-Peri, Italian Herbs, Garlic, Paprika, Cumin
1. Fry the onions in a pot until they turn glassy. Add the sausage wheels, and fry for another 4 minutes.
2. Add chickpeas and any other veggies you want to add (peppers, sundried tomato). Stir well.
3. Add the canned tomato/pasta sauce, sherry, wine and lemon juice/rind.
4. Add the spices – about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of each. Keep on tasting and adjust the spicing according to your own taste!
5. Mix well and let it simmer covered for 30 minutes. It should be saucy, so if it is dry keep adding wine or pasta sauce.
Serve with Basmati rice.